How’s a girl to keep up with her healthy habits when she’s been advised to stay at home in an effort to help dissipate the Corona Virus? If you’re like me, you’ve established some awesome healthy habits. They took time to establish and make second nature. Often times those habits are solidified based on the regular routine you keep.
My daily habits look something like this: up at 6am, begin morning routine, eat a healthy breakfast, take vitamins, drop kids off at school, head to the gym, sip water all the way, and then work. HOWEVER, with Corona knocking on the doors of American homes, now the kids are off school for weeks on end. We are being asked to stay home and access to a gym is limited. Your routine is in upheaval.
Don’t let all your healthy habits get lost amidst the change of routine! You can keep healthy habits in place with a few helpful tips.
- Continue to get up at the same time: Keeping your body set to its traditional body clock will, not only make it easier once you’re back to your usual schedule, but will also trick your mind into having a positive mindset.
- Figure out the specific habits you want to maintain, but will be difficult with your new temporary schedule: For me, I know I want to continue drinking 64 oz of water, exercising, having my morning routine and eating healthy. I’ve gotten use to drinking a lot of water during morning school drop off. With that not in play right now, I’ve alternately filled up two water bottles with the mount of water I need to consume in a day. The visual reminder will help me to accomplish it.
- Think through what habits may be more challenging with your temporary schedule change and get creative on how you can still make them happen. The important thing to keep in mind is that you KEEP the time slot for that habit, but perhaps you scale back how MUCH time you invest in it. You may typically spend an hour at the gym, but now 30 mins is going to have to be enough because you’re a temporary homeschool mom.
- Social distancing doesn’t rule out connectedness: This is a great time to daily check in via phone or text with a friend once you’ve completed the habits or goals you want to complete each day. If you both set goals and check in, even better!!
- Finally, give yourself some grace. Don’t quit. Also, don’t berate yourself if you miss a day. You’re learning something new. New is hard. New is messy. Take it easy. You can do it.
If you create a new habit over the next few weeks please be sure to leave a comment. I’d love to hear about it!